Wednesday 15 October 2008

Cheer up, it may never happen!


The "shoot the messenger" attitude that persists at the moment really irritates me, especially given that I am the equivalent of reuters when it comes to the message of doom. Grudginly, one has to concede (notice I change to from "I" to "one" when I use the word "concede") that sometimes it is far more comforting to wish for the best.

Suddenly I find myself wanting this all to go away after Wassup commented "isn't collapse inevitable?" yesterday. Because he's probably right. Huge car plants have ceased production in UK and the US. Countries, not banks, are failing now. Winter is closing in. Bernanke, famous scholar of the Great Depression, is about to become an expert on two depressions.


London's East End felt the brunt of Nazi terror bombing during the second world war. For those who have an American education, London is in Europe, the Nazis were like super taliban, and the bombing was like 9/11 10 times every night. Citizens were helpless in the face of mechanised genocide, however they coped by various means, including humour. People would say to each other "Cheer up - it may never happen!".


Perhaps we should cheer up? I mean, it's not like we're facing the specter of global facism. That came about because of a swing to the right after massive economic collapse, which... okay now I am depressing myself.

To all readers I say "Cheer up - it may never happen."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know much about art, but I know what I like!